Tuesday, August 6, 2013
To the Count of Ten - Manipulatives, Base Ten, Counting and Multiplication
Base Ten Blocks - https://app.box.com/s/09z3ikcg44a3u0o5j5pq
The three slides all provide basic manipulatives of base ten blocks, the first zoomed in closer than the later two. The subsequent slides feature place value columns. The first focuses on ones, tens and hundreds while the second can be used to represent decimals, with ones, tenths and hundredths filling the columns.
1) Demonstrating relationships - How many red squares does it take to cover one yellow rod? How many rods are needed to cover one blue block?
2) Representing numbers - How many ways can you show the number 192? (example: 2 squares, 9 rods, 1 block OR 2 squares, 19 rods). Which blocks must you use? Why?
3) Addition and subtraction/performance evaluation - Create a video showing how you would solve 239 + 473.
Multiplication Arrays - https://app.box.com/s/z9lvlego10p831dy9fts
This activity consists of groups of objects that will help students master the basic multiplication facts. The first ten pages focus on just one multiples of just one number each from 1 through 10. The final two pages contain images of all the possible arrays from 1 through 10
1) Counting/representing numbers - Select three rods of five tea pots. How many tea pots in total did you select?
2) Commutative property - What are two ways of showing 4x6?
3) Factoring - 4x6 is 24. What is another multiplication fact that results in the number 24?
Ten Frames and Counting Flowers - https://app.box.com/s/hxkukzjxgfgn4c2nmaen
Thre sets of counting tools are included, the first being a basic ten frame with the dots free moving. The second slide has ten frames representing the numbers 1 through 10 premade. The final slide is effectively like the second, accept instead of ten frames it uses collections of flowers.
1) Counting - Show me the number 6.
2) Multiple representation/ Addition - What are some ways to show the number 15 using different bunches of flowers? Can you show that in an addition sentence?